In the United States, statistics suggest that approximately 65% of us go to the dentist on a regular basis. In some states, that number drops to around 50%. However, as innocent as it may seem, this oversight is not harmless. Missing out on dental care can lead to many serious health issues like oral cancer, heart disease, and even Alzheimer’s Disease. Here are some significant reasons why patients typically avoid seeing the dentist.
1. Misconceptions About Oral Health – Many of us have grown up to believe certain myths when it comes to oral health. One example of this is that bleeding when brushing is normal. This is not the case. Bleeding gums are never a normal part of routine brushing. This can be a sign of periodontal disease or other oral health issues. This is just one critical reason why we want our patients to understand that ignorance or lack of education is never a good excuse to fail to take care of your mouth.
2. Cost – Money is always a factor in consumer choices and that includes our health needs. We all make choices for our health every day based on cost. The reality is that visiting the dentist twice a year and finding dental issues early on are far less expensive than waiting until there is a problem developing.
3. Fear Of Being Lectured About Poor Oral Health – No one likes getting yelled at or lectured for not doing a better job with at home oral hygiene. However, this can often be prevented by choosing the dentist and staff that is right for you. You need to choose a dentist who is open to communication and finding better ways that work for you to maintain your hygiene. Additionally, there is no reason why you cannot change dentists if you do not like how you are treated.
4. Phobias About Dental Care – A large segment of the population has an unhealthy fear of seeing the dentist. This can be due to previous bad experiences or a learned trait from their parents. Luckily, dental phobia can be overcome with good communication between patient and dentist. Choosing the right dentist goes a long way to creating a positive dental experience. Some providers can also provide sedation treatment to make the dental experience more relaxing and stress-free.
5. Lack Of Time – As we rush around and perform our daily tasks, it is easy to forget to take time to see the dentist. However, as mentioned above, studies have shown our oral health and our general health are often linked in significant ways. To stay healthy, we need to realize that maintaining our oral health is a critical piece in our overall health. This also means that visits to the dentist every 6 months for examinations and professional cleanings should be important enough to take a top priority in our busy lives.
6. Lack Of Dental Insurance – This is another reason that patients avoid getting the oral health care that they need. However, what many people fail to realize is that most expensive oral health conditions can be prevented with regular check-ups and proper oral hygiene. There are alternatives for patients who do not have insurance, like CareCredit, health expense accounts, alternative payment options, and other ways to pay for dental services. So don’t let lack of insurance prevent you from seeking dental care.
For superior dental care services and wonderful options like dental implants, we suggest you come see the professionals at Emanuel Kontos, DMD. We proudly serve patients in Tarpon Springs, FL, so please give us a call if you would like to find out what we can do for the health and appearance of your smile. Alternatively, you can peruse our Dental Implants InfoSite to learn more details about dental implants.
2605 Keystone Rd
Tarpon Springs, FL
Monday: 7:30AM – 5PM
Tuesday: 7:30AM – 5PM
Wednesday: 7:30AM – 5PM
Thursday: 7:30AM – 5PM
Friday: 8AM – 12PM